- I arise today
- Through God’s strength to pilot me:
- God’s might to uphold me,
- God’s wisdom to guide me,
- God’s eye to look before me,
- God’s ear to hear me,
- God’s word to speak for me,
- God’s hand to guard me,
- God’s way to lie before me,
- God’s shield to protect me,
- God’s host to save me
- From snares of devils,
- From temptations of vices,
- From everyone who shall wish me ill,
- Afar and anear,
- Alone and in multitude.
- Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
- Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
- Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
- Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise,
- Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
- Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
- Christ in every eye that sees me,
- Christ in every ear that hears me.
- Salvation is of the Lord.
- May your salvation O Lord be ever with us.
- From St. Patrick’s Breastplate
Tomorrow is Easter, the most important holiday for Christians. Easter is so special because of the hope it brings. Hope for the individual today, hope for the nations and hope for everyone who has been and is yet to come. At Christmas we like to say that we celebrate God’s gift to us; His son Jesus. But Easter is the celebration of the true gift; the gift of Salvation. For the fact that God became incarnate in the form of a man would have meant nothing to us had Jesus not made the conscious decision to sacrifice Himself for our sins by dying on the cross and then conquering death at the Resurrection that we celebrate on Easter Sunday.
John 3:16, probably the most famous verse of the Bible, says this: “”For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” As a child this was one of the first Bible verses I memorized, but I don’t think I fully understood it until my own children were born. I loved both my girls the instant I saw them because they were a part of me. Its an amazing thing to feel total and unconditional love for a tiny person that you are just seeing for the first time. It was only then that I understood the true nature of what God had done for us; giving us His son. Asking His son to give up being ruler of the universe and humble himself to become one of us; to live with us, and ultimately to be rejected, despised and murdered by us. What a great and humbling feeling it is to know that the infinite, omnipotent, God of all creation loved me (and you) so much.
Happy Easter everyone.